1. The word Onam or Thiruvonam is derived from the Sanskrit word Shravanam. Thiruonam is one among the 27 nakshatras or constellations. The word ‘Thiru’ is used to address places and activities associated with Lord Vishnu. Thiruvonam is also believed to be the nakshatra of Vishnu.
2. It marksthe beginning of a new life. That is why it is celebrated by wearing new clothes and resolving to lead a new life.
3. Onam was declared as the national festivalof kerala in 1961.
4. Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru was so impressed by this race that he announced a trophy for this race known as Nehru Trophy Boat Race. It is the biggest team sport event in the world today.
5. The harvest festival of Onam corresponds with the Malayalam New Year.
6. Record of celebrations can be found from the time of Kulasekhara Perumals (800 AD). At that time Onam celebrations continued for a month.
7. A procession of decorated elephants is carried out in Trissur, the cultural capital of Kerala. Bejeweled elephants in their full majesty and grandeur are a magnificent sight to behold.
8. Onamsadya: It is a 9 course meal that is served on a banana leaf with a fixed menu, served in a fixed manner.
9. Vallamkali boat used for racing are 100 feet long and has a seating capacity of 150 men.
10. UNESCO recognizes the making of ritual flower beds such as Onappookkalam as tek (traditional environmental knowledge) practices and evidently underlines their conservation and progression.